December 31, 2018

Heritage of Cebu Monument – Photo Story

Heritage of Cebu Monument - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

Heritage of Cebu Monument can be found in historic Parian district of Cebu City. A massive monument portrays some of the most important persons, places and events of Cebu history. 

The construction made of concrete, bronze, brass, and steel took a while to complete: from July 1997 to December 2000. The author is local artist Eduardo Castrillo.

Photos and historic facts about the heritage monument

"He (artist Eduardo Castrillo) and the late Senator Marcelo Fernan together with donations from other private individuals and organizations funded the construction of the monument."

heritage Monument in Cebu City - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

"The structures depicted in the Heritage Monument are the Basilica del Santo Niño, the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, the Saint John the Baptist Church, the Magellan’s Cross, and a Spanish Galleon."

Heritage of Cebu Monumentin Parian District - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

"The scenes depicted in the Heritage Monument are the baptism of Rajah Humabon, a procession of the Santo Niño, a Roman Catholic mass, and the Battle of Mactan between Lapu-Lapu and Ferdinand Magellan. "

Heritage Monument Cebu - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

"The persons depicted in the monument include the late president Sergio Osmena Sr. and Blessed Pedro Calungsod."

Best of Philippines: Heritage Monument - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse
Places to visit in Cebu: Heritage Monument - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

"The Heritage Monument is located in the historic Parian District, which during the Spanish period was home to the residences of the most prominent families in Cebu at that time. "

Things to do in Cebu City Philippines: Heritage Monument - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse
Heritage of Cebu Monument - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

"The Heritage of Cebu Monument is accessible by public transportation. If you are in Colon Street in downtown Cebu City, you can take a jeep with the signboard showing SM and Pier area. The jeep will pass by the monument. You may also take a taxicab as most drivers are familiar with the place."
Source

Some interesting facts about the place, not so well-known

San Juan Bautista Chapel - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

San Juan Bautista Chapel - a faint reminder of its glorious predecessor church with the same name.

In 1602, the most magnificent church was built on the same spot where the Heritage of Cebu Monument now stands. According to some sources/studies this Parian church “has never been surpassed by any other church that has been built in Cebu, such as the Cathedral, the Seminary, and San Nicolas.” Its name was San Juan Bautista Parish Church.

Unfortunately, it was disassembled sometime in the late 1870s. And the only faint reminder of its opulence is a small San Juan Bautista Chapel across the street (see photo above and below). 

Inside of the San Juan Bautista Chapel across from Heriatge Monument - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

The inside of the San Juan Bautista Chapel, located right across the street from the Heritage of Cebu Monument in Parian district.

Story about san Juan bautista parish church

“The church (built in 1602) was made of stone blocks, plastered together in a mixture of lime and the sap of the lawat tree. The roofs were made of tiles, and the lumber used was molave, balayong and naga.

The paraphernalia used in the mass was made purely of gold, the pews were carved by a sculptor of the Parian, the altars were covered with stone slabs with money and gold inlaid, and the church bells were big and loud. The tolling of these bells was so loud that it could be heard as far as Hilotungan ang the town of Talisay.”

The San Juan Bautista Parish Church in a diorama of the old Pari-an district located inside one of the galleries of the Museo Pari-an sa Sugbo 1730 Jesuit House, which is just a few meters away from where the Pari-an church was located. (Photo by Max Limpag)

The San Juan Bautista Parish Church in a diorama of the old Pari-an district located inside one of the galleries of the Museo Pari-an sa Sugbo 1730 Jesuit House, which is just a few meters away from where the Pari-an church was located. (Photo by Max Limpag)

“The Augustinian friars upon seeing the magnificence of the church of the Parian, got envious, and employed every shrewd means they could think of to take over the Parian church.”
Source

To make a long story short - eventually, the Spaniards succeeded. The church was disassembled in late 1878 or 1879. Only the convent of the San Juan Bautista Parish Church was spared. It was used as a public library and a fire station during the American regime.

About the history of  San Juan Bautista Parish Church at Museo Parian - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

About the history of San Juan Bautista Parish Church at the 1730 Jesuit House - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

Painting of San Juan Bautista Parish Church seen at 1730 Jesuit House - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse

Painting of San Juan Bautista Parish Church seen at 1730 Jesuit House - Photo © 2018 Daria Perse


Daria

Daria is a SunFlower by nature, on a mission to shine the light of beauty and happiness on this world in the same way that the Sun spreads its warmth.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below

Leave a Reply: